I love how this turned out and there was a bit of a learning curve involved. I used the Tim Holtz Hanging Sign die and The Bird and the branch die and cut them using chip board (the type that comes at the back of paper tablets). I cut two of the hanging posts and glued them together to get a longer post to hang my sign from. I found this idea on the following youtube video http://youtu.be/Rwh6WSxq7UA. The learning curve came when I tried to add the eyelets. I never used the crop-a-dile big bite for anything other than punching holes. It required a phone call to my sister who immediately asked me if I read the directions. Well, how could I when I threw them away. Who needs to read directions when you have a sister that can walk you through the steps. Anyway, I figured out how to do the eyelets after a few attempts of crushing several beyond use.
I covered the sign with Adirondack "Espresso" paint dabber. I used "Pool" and "Gold", applied them to my craft mat and used a dry brush here and there to add an aged look. I stamped the sign with a textured stamp and embossed it with clear embossing powder. I typed the quote and printed from my computer. I distressed the paper by tearing it, covering it with scattered straw distress ink and then using vintage photo around the edges. I glued it to my sign with good ole Elmer's glue.
I cut the bird and branch from chipboard that I covered with scrapbook paper. I cut the bird from the branch with scissors and inked the edges with "Vintage Photo" distress ink. I colored his beak with yellow copic marker (can't remember which color). Then I added some bling for his eye.
I inked my background by covering it with scattered straw distress ink and using various stencils and sprays. I stamped the white square pattern by rubbing Gesso on my stamp and randomly applying it to the page. I did some stamping with black archival ink. Then I glued down the sign and the bird. I added a flourish stamp to show his singing. Then I added stamping using "Sepia" archival ink. I don't know if you can see it in the picture but I also randomly stamped a crackle background stamp using "Tumbled Glass" distress ink. I tried to put a little blue in the background to pick up the bird. The final step was outlining the bird with "cool gray No 3", to help define him a little. I added the silk flowers with a glue gun and there you have it.....done.
This next photo is from some experimenting that I did tonight. I bought a new embossing powder today (aged teal). I was hoping that it would give an aged look to some of my die cuts. I saw a tutorial for distressing and aging the Tim Holtz Jalopy http://layersofink.blogspot.com/2012/04/faux-rust-tutorial.html and thought that this embossing powder would be perfect.
I cut two pieces of chipboard and coated them with the Espresso ink dabber. I stamped the whole thing with the textured stamp and clear embossing ink. I added the embossing powder and heated it. The first attempt came out too blue. So I used the same method but rolled the stamp in small spots. I liked this one better but it also came out with more blue than I expected. The powder looks like a mixture of turquoise, gold, and brown. I didn't think the turquoise would be so dominate. I will probably still use this method but go very light handed with the stamping.