I worked on this page today. The House is cut from Cricut "Heritage" Cartridge. I made this when I was visiting my sister in Florida a couple weeks ago. I did the background using Distress inks Scattered Straw (The moon) Stormy Sky and Faded Blue Jeans (the sky) and Peeled Paint (the ground). I stamped a willow tree, which didn't come out very well because the binding of my book prevented me from getting the stamp all the way down). Then I cut out the stampotique guy that I colored a couple posts ago. I had a set of little monster stamps that I bought on clearance and I stamped one on white card stock and colored him with markers. I cut him out and glued him to the page. Then I thought I would go for it and color outside the lines, which is very hard for me. I dripped Faded Blue Jean reinker from the top of the page. I sprayed it with water and let it drip. What I failed to realize was that this picture was the back page to my tea pot lady and the ink bled through. OH NO!
This is what my tea pot lady looks like now. I would prefer that it didn't bleed through but I'm not too upset. I kind of like it.
I cut the clock frame from Tim Holtz Mover's and Shaper's dies. I colored the frame with my distress markers and then embossed the handle, the bells, the center of the hands and the feet with "aged silver" embossing powder. Then I had some Tim Holtz ideology paper and found a page with clock faces on it and they fit perfectly. So I cut one out and glued it to the back. I love how it turned out even if I did get the embossing powder on the frame of the clock. The butterfly was simply punched from a card that I did a while ago using aluminum foil and dry embossing it using Tim Holtz, Rivits, embossing folder. Love both of these and I will find some project to use them on in the future.
This next project was pure experimentation. I have been seeing all kinds of posts using the Gelli Plate. I saw a video where someone used an alternative method here. So I thought I would try using the Spellbinder's embossing pads that I just bought and see if it would work.
These are the results. The first picture was done by spreading blue and yellow acryilic paint on the mat using a brayer. Then I place a stencil over the paint. I placed a piece of paper over that and then smoothed over the paper with my hands concentrating on pressing through the stencil. I then removed the paper and the stencil. Then I took another sheet of paper and put it over the paint that was left with the impression of the stencil in the paint. I again rubbed the back of the paper firmly with my hands. The last print was simply taking the stencil with the left over paint and pressing it onto a sheet of paper. Three different designs. pretty cool. BUT, the rubber pads that I have are only 5 X 7. How could I cover an 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of paper? I remembered that I had some old rubber placemats tucked away.....
This is the place mat and the paints that I used.
I squeezed three blobs of paint on the mat.
I spread the paint across the mat with a brayer.
I placed a stencil on the paint and then place a sheet of paper over the stencil. I used cardstock this time. I rubbed the back of the paper trying to make sure I pressed into all the nooks and crannies of the stencil.
This is the result. It isn't the best. I think there are two reasons why. 1. Using cardstock made it harder to press into the stencil and 2. The placemat wasn't as cushioned as the rubber mat. I suppose that is the point of the Gelli plate. It is soft enoght to allow the proper pressure to be applied to allow the paint to come through.
This is what the paint like after taking the stencil off. I too another sheet of cardstock and placed it over this and again pressed down and rubbed over the back.
This is the result. So pretty!
Then I took the stencil that was in paint and placed it on a sheet of cardstock. It went a little wonky because I was on the phone and working with one hand.
This is the result when I removed the stencil. It is a way to work around not having a Gelli Plate and certainly adds a new dimension to creating backgrounds. I took everything to my utility sink and washed them right away so that the paint wouldn't dry on them. The brayer, the placemat and the stencil all cleaned up very well..